Financial Inclusion: For What?
This year, we are taking a step back as a community to revisit the fundamental purpose of our work.
As some organizations pursue financial inclusion as their ultimate goal, others are driving toward financial health or the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Meanwhile, financial institutions and fintechs are aiming to profitably serve low-income markets.
In the face of these trends, we can’t help but ask: Financial Inclusion: For What?
Financial Inclusion: For What? is a call to action for our community to reexamine our goals and renew efforts to achieve them. During Financial Inclusion Week this year, October 21-25, 2019, we invite you to convene around this question to reexamine, redefine, and align our goals.
- What is the ultimate goal we are trying to achieve? Financial inclusion? Sustainable Development Goals? Financial health? Or something else?
- To what extent are our goals complementary or contradictory?
- How do our efforts across the industry complement or counteract each other?
- Do these goals align with what we aim to achieve as an industry?
- How should we measure our success?