There are still three billion people around the world who are currently left out of the financial system. While many great organizations have done important work here there is so much more that needs to be done. And that was before the current crisis. The impact of the coronavirus will be felt more harshly in the developing world so the work being done in financial inclusion is more urgent than ever.
Our next guest on the Lend Academy Podcast is Mayada El-Zoghbi, the Managing Director at the Center for Financial Inclusion (CFI). Her organization, part of Accion, has responded to the crisis quickly.
In this podcast you will learn:
- Mayada’s background in inclusive finance.
- The work that she did on the Global Findex database.
- Why she decided to take the job to be the head of CFI.
- The mission of CFI today.
- Why improving financial inclusion is about far more than technology.
- The geographies they focus on and the types of demographics.
- The relationship between CFI and Accion.
- How COVID-19 has impacted the agenda for CFI.
- The silver lining that could come out of this crisis.
- How it will affect the gender gap.
- What more fintech companies should be doing today in this area.
- The priorities that CFI is focused on beyond the current crisis.
This episode of the Lend Academy Podcast is sponsored by LendIt Fintech USA 2020, the world’s largest fintech event dedicated to lending and digital banking.